• Be certified by an American Board of Medical Specialties board member
• Be in good standing with the Medical Board of California
• Maintain his/her primary practice in Orange County for the last five years
• Be in practice within his/her specialty for the last five years
Applicant nominees also were required to meet at least three of the following four criteria. The selection committee determined whether the applicant met the criteria, and in some instances, discretion was used.
1. Physician Leadership To be considered a physician leader, applicants were required to meet
one of the three criteria:
• Recent (within the past four years) positions as an elected or appointed member of a medical organization, including but not limited to: chief of staff, member of the medical executive committee, department chair or vice chair, board of director position for Orange County Medical Association,
the California Medical Association, the American Medical Association, the American Board of
Medical Specialties, or other medical groups.
Excludes full-time paid administrative positions.
• Recent (within the past four years) elected/appointed positions as a member of a peer review organization/journal, including but not limited to: Medical Board
of California, hospital-based peer review committee, or a peer-reviewed journal.
• Current (within one year) significant community leadership positions such as PTA president or district school board member.
2. Teaching/Mentoring Current (within one year) medical school or university faculty appointment and/or involvement in teaching of other physicians, medical students and pre-med students, or other health care professionals.
3. Medical Research/Scientific Advances Currently (within one year) active in peer-reviewed clinical research activities, or possess unique skills within field of nomination, including but not limited to performing a unique breakthrough surgical procedure and development of a unique and important treatment protocol.
4. Humanitarian Service Current (within one year) service as a volunteer physician outside your regular practice, without compensation. Examples include, but are not limited to, service to the underserved populations or those with special needs, overseas missions, or philanthropic activities supporting medicine.
Orange County Medical Association Board of Directors 2009-10
Michael B. Hurwitz, M.D., president
Richard T. Pitts, D.O., president-elect
Standiford Helm II, M.D., secretary-treasurer
James J. Strebig, M.D., immediate past president
Joanna Tan, M.D.
Rakesh K. Bhola, M.D.
James E. Pierog, M.D.
Sudeep Kukreja, M.D.
Michael Fitzgibbons, M.D.
Thomas C. Kockinis, M.D.
Santosh K. Mohanty, M.D.
Abhay Parikh, M.D.
Khosrow Mahdavi, M.D.
William E. Callahan Jr., M.D.
Darla Holland, M.D.
Ramesh Rathod, M.D.
Alexis Lieser, M.D., resident
2010 Physicians of Excellence Selection Committee
Joanna Tan, M.D., chairwoman
Dawn L. Bruner, M.D.
Edward M. Ellison Jr., M.D.
Richard S. Frankenstein, M.D.
Darla Holland, M.D.
Donald L. Sharps, M.D.
Saif Siddiqi, M.D.
Michele Blair, executive director/CEO, Orange County Medical Association