In 1919, J. A. Turner of the Santiago Hunt Club began raising red foxes in cages at the park, for hunting purposes. The 1920 pens for deer and a lethargic alligator made it a zoo. Animals added later included monkeys, birds, and Horatio the pancake-loving bear. Enclosures were scattered around the park. The zoo lost steam when the park closed during World War II. And in 1969, many animals were released during a flood. In the early 1970s, the overseers began to consolidate the enclosures into one area, and in 1984 a new zoo facility was opened, focusing primarily on native California animals. Today, two of the Orange County Zoo’s biggest stars are black bears Yo-Yo and Elinor. They “work” alternate days, a deal which—being a government-owned zoo—was probably the result of union negotiations.