Chef Craig Brady of Haven Craft Kitchen + Bar acknowledges that he has a soft spot for chilaquiles in general, and his take on this brunch dish has become a favorite ($19).
- It takes 48 hours to herb cure and confit Maple Leaf Farms duck legs before cooking and then shredding the savory meat.
- Escabeche and chipotle cream supply bright tanginess to offset the dish’s inherent richness.
- Freshly cut and fried corn tortillas from La Banderita are chosen for the lime-tinged, mineral edge retained after nixtamalization.
- Just-laid eggs with orangey yolks come from the happy hens at GoneStraw Farms in Riverside.
- Prep chef Mario Ceballos individually toasts and grinds peanuts, almonds, and sesame seeds for the signature mole with 20 ingredients.
Haven Craft Kitchen + Bar, 190 S. Glassell St., Orange, 714-221-0680
Join us at the Best New Restaurants party. Go to orangecoast.com/bestnewrestaurants for tickets and information.