The Porsche Design store at South Coast Plaza has relocated and celebrated a rebirth this past week. Originally located near Macy’s on the lower level, the new store is the first concept store in the U.S. and is now in the Carousel Court. Porsche Design creates and sells multiple items including watches, men’s sportswear, eyewear, fragrances, luggage and wallets, and other home accessories. There’s even a hookah, plus a home stereo system made from Porsche parts.
Here are five interesting facts about Porsche Design and the new store:
- Porsche Design was founded in 1972 by, Ferdinand Alexander Porsche, the eldest son of Porsche founder Ferdinand.
- The first Porsche Design product created by F.A. Porsche was a black wristwatch, a first in watchmaking at the time.
- The Porsche Design store at South Coast Plaza originally opened in 1988 and was the first in the U.S.
- While Porsche Design had previously been an offshoot enterprise for F.A. Porsche’s post-automotive designs, it is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Porsche AG. This allows for additional collaboration on designs and materials with the automaker’s designers and engineers.
- A Porsche car is featured in the store and will switch out seasonally, though customers cannot purchase a car here. The 16-by-9-foot high-definition video wall will show Porsche Design products, Porsche cars, and information about the recently opened Porsche Experience Center in nearby Carson.