For whatever reason, October is easily the busiest beer month of the year. Kicking things off with the Great American Beer Festival from Oct. 5 through 7 in Denver. Back home in O.C. things are also popping off in freaky fashion. From Oktoberfests to brewery anniversaries to big beer festivals, October can be a spooky time for your wallet and your liver. Here’s a rundown.
- Anaheim Brewery’s Oktoberfest: Oct. 7 and 14 with live music and Boozeblog favorite Viking Truck serving up brats.
- Porktoberfest at The Five Crowns, featuring Firestone Walker. David Walker himself will be there to help pour beer and eat all the pork.
- The Phoenix Club in Anaheim has easily the most genuine Oktoberfest in SoCal, complete with live music, great German food, dancing, and even an air-rifle range. Local blogger and certified Cicerone Charlie Perez notes, “I really enjoy the Benediktiner Oktoberfest beer, a golden Festbier, paired with the schweineschnitzel, a fried-and-breaded pork cutlet. The beer’s nutty and bready flavors latch onto the salty pork and fried crust while the carbonation scrubs away the fats. It’s even better when you add sauerkraut! It’s been my go-to for years!”
- Huntington Beach’s Oktoberfest at Old World is a lot of fun. I love watching the Dachshund races!
- Local breweries’ Festbiers are officially a thing in 2017, with many creating their version of the classic Märzen/Oktoberfest Bier. Check out Tustin Brewing, Hoparazzi, Cismontane, and even Green Cheek’s collaboration with Firestone Walker on the 13th, which they fermented in a Firestone’s barrel union.
OC Brewer’s Guild Brewer Brewers Mash: Oct. 20 at the Fullerton Arboretum at night! Dress up and support this non-profit event that benefits the brewer’s guild. Expect to be spooked with great beer.
Punk ‘n Brew Festival: Oct. 28th at Sealegs Live in Huntington Beach. One part Brew Ha Ha beer festival producer, one part punk-rock legend Fat Mike of NOFX, and one part Stone Brewing…what can go wrong? A beach festival that will tantalize your ears and your taste buds! I previewed this a month back.
OOZEFest3: Oct. 14th All the cheese, beer, and fun! Main Place mall, Santa Ana/5 Fwy. Thirty food vendors plus Firestone Walker, Four Sons Brewing, Green Cheek Beer Co., Smog City Brewery, and The Good Beer Co.
Stereo Brewing 1st Anniversary Party: 1 to 8 p.m. Oct. 14: Free entry, live music, craft table, Meatup BBQ will have food to purchase.
Laguna Beach Beer Co “Grand Happening” Opening Celebration: opening celebration: 5 p.m. to closing, Oct. 13. Check out the new O.C. brewery’s beer and food in the newly redecorated tasting room.
riip beer co Anniversary Wing-Ding Revelry We Still In Business Bash Oct. 21 afternoonish, Huntington Beach. Live music, cask beer, special release.
Barley Forge Brewing 3rd Anniversary. From co-owner Greg Nylen, “Barley Forge will be celebrating its 3rd anniversary beginning on October 25 and continuing through October 29 with new beer releases, special bands, a pancake breakfast on the 29th and other events.” Link pending.
Anything we missed? Let us know in the comments.