At a brewer-heavy Halloween party last month, I ran into Beachwood BBQ & Brewing’s Julian Shrago dressed as Dog the Bounty Hunter. “Excited to open a production brewery in Huntington Beach?” I asked, sipping on a Yes Chef! hoppy lager from Chapman Crafted. “YAYUH!!” Julian said, flicking his fake blond locks back. Although the question is simple enough, hearing his trademark reply put a smile on my face as we high-fived and bro-hugged it out.
Opening in Beach City Brewing’s spot in Huntington Beach, the Beachwood crew chose the location due to its central location and access to a new turnkey brewery. Various upgrades were made to add additional capacity, but the most exciting part is a new high-speed bottling line that can handle 12-ounce and 22-ounce bottles. Expect six packs and bombers of Amalgamator and Citraholic IPA, Alpha Galactic Pale Ale, Mocha Machine, Foam Top, and seasonals to hit shelves and draft accounts soon.
Opening Nov. 17, most of the core beers will be available, some variants, as well as wild experiments from Beachwood Blendery nearby. Tasting room hours will be 3 to 10 p.m. Thursday, noon to 10 p.m. Friday/Saturday, noon to 8 p.m. Sunday. On opening day, the list includes many award-winning beers:
- Udder Love Milk Stout – GABF Gold 2012, Silver 2013, World Beer Cup Bronze 2016
- Chaos is a Friend of Mine – Belgian-Style Lambic from Beachwood Blendery, GABF Silver 2016
- Foam Top – Easy drinking blonde ale with a clean maltiness and subtle noble hop. Gold medal winner at 2012 World Beer Cup and 2013 GABF.
- Mocha Machine – Imperial porter with Portola Coffee Lab coffee. Gold medal GABF 2014, Silver 2015 and World Beer Cup 2016, Bronze 2014.
- Kilgore Stout – roasty, toasty, silky stout perfect for when the weather cools. GABF Gold 2013, WBC Silver 2016.
- El Verano – Belgian-style Saison with rye, wheat, spelt, and honey! GABF Bronze 2012.
- Full Malted Jacket – Wee Heavy Scotch Ale -BA version GABF Bronze 2013
- That’s What She Said – Belgian Strong at 9 percent
- Amalgamator IPA – West Coast dank IPA.
- Citraholic IPA – Citra hopped IPA that leans on the tropical side.
- Alpha Galactic Pale Ale – Drinks like a 5.5 percent session IPA with New Zealand Galaxy hops.
- The Independent – New beer release! On Election Day, bring in your “I Voted Sticker” and get a $3 pint of The Independent at Beachwood BBQ Seal Beach and Long Beach.
- Parts & Parcels – Barrel aged stout 12 percent
- Knucklehead Red – malty, hoppy red at 5.7 percent
- James – Brown ale full of soul
- Clear & Present Manger – Winter Warmer
7631 Woodwind Dr, Huntington Beach // beachwoodbbq.com