Casa Romantica Cultural Center and Gardens in San Clemente, CA is south Orange County’s major cultural institution. Originally the home of Ole Hanson, the founder of San Clemente, the house was built in 1927 as the beginning of his dream of a “Spanish Village by the Sea.” Casa Romantica has developed a reputation for wide-ranging cultural programming, including music, art, dance, and theater that bring international talent to south Orange County.
Although briefly closed last year due to the pandemic, Casa Romantica has proved that nothing can stop the arts. They were the first major cultural institution in Orange County to create virtual programming for people of all ages. The heart of Casa Romantica’s mission is to bring arts and culture to the children in our community and host a variety of arts education programs for children year-round including onsite scavenger hunts, an afternoon activity club, and online field trip lessons.
Executive Director Amy Behrens says, “Our goal is to make arts accessible to every child. Whether they are visiting us in person or online, they have a positive space to play, use their creativity and develop their artistic expression which is even more important during all the challenges of COVID-19.” Casa Romantica ensures this by making almost all of its Casa Kids programming free to the public, removing the challenges and barriers for children to be enriched by visual and performing arts.
Some of the Cultural Center’s current Spring and Summer arts opportunities for children are:
- Virtual storytime on their virtual kid’s activity webpage.
- Weekly and daily activities for elementary school-aged children are available on our virtual kid’s activities webpage.
- Native Plant Hunt in their 2.5 acres of seaside gardens.
- Casa Kids Club: weekly crafts for kids every Tuesday. On site or take home kits available.
- Spring Break Arts Week: Daily performances, film screenings, and events great for families with kids of all ages!
- Tuesday, April 6: Film screening of Charlie Chaplin’s The Kid (100th anniversary)
- Wednesday, April 7: Orchestra Collective of Orange County: An Evening of Dvorak and Mozart
- Thursday, April 8: Jazz Dance from Film to Stage- lecture led by USC Professor
- Friday, April 9: Family Members Night at the Casa
- Sunday, April 11: Yoder Family Sunday Art Fair
Summer Music Festival and Academy
Casa Romantica’s annual Music Festival and Academy offers lessons in piano, violin, viola, and cello to children ages 8 – 13 of all skill levels. Activities include daily private lessons, practice, music theory, and group activities in the arts. The Academy concludes with a recital put on by the students.
Summer Dance Workshop
Casa Romantica’s annual Summer Dance Workshop offers lessons in ballet, jazz, contemporary, and hip-hop to children ages 7 – 12 of all skill levels. Activities include daily group lessons, improvisation classes, and choreography classes to give dancers creative movement opportunities. The Workshop concludes with a recital put on by the students.
Whether you are visiting in person or online, Casa Romantica has something to offer everyone in your family no matter how young. Plan a family night at home with a virtual arts activity or explore their 2.5 acres of seaside gardens during a safe, outdoor family outing. Casa Romantica is open Tuesday-Thursday 10 AM-4 PM and Friday-Sunday 10 AM-2 PM. Admission is $5 for adults and admission is free for children under the age of 13 and Active-duty military.
Casa Romantica Cultural Center and Gardens, 415 Avenida Granada, San Clemente, 949-498-2139, casaromantica.org