Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Orange County Chapter
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International (JDRF) is the worldwide leader in funding research to cure type 1 diabetes, an autoimmune disease that strikes children and adults suddenly and lasts a lifetime.
JDRF’s mission has been constant since it was founded four decades ago: to find a cure for type 1 diabetes through the support of research. Until a cure is found, JDRF is also committed to working tirelessly to develop new and better treatments to improve the lives of people who have type 1 diabetes and keep them as healthy as possible.
The Orange County Chapter was founded in 1987 by a small group of families. Their first fashion show at the Ritz-Carlton laid the groundwork for the grassroots fundraising efforts that continue to make our chapter a leader in Orange County. More than 80 percent of our expenditures directly support research and research-related education.
Diabetes is a far different disease today than it was 40 years ago … different even than just five or ten years ago. We have made astounding progress towards a cure, and already have a number of better ways to treat the disease and keep people healthy until a cure is found.
Consider the advances in research attributed to JDRF.
• The field of type 1 diabetes research exists, in no small measure, because of JDRF – when we began funding projects and programs, we were more or less alone.
• When islet transplantion became a viable avenue of exploration, JDRF was the leader.
• When scientists began the journey to unlock the potential of alternative cell sources as a cure, JDRF was the leader.
• As the field of regeneration has taken off in just the past few years, JDRF was – and is – the leader.
• As the quest begins for systems to keep people healthy until a cure is found – the search for glucose responsive insulins and an artificial pancreas – JDRF is the clear leader.
Plus, as a result of research, we have made remarkable progress in how we treat and live with diabetes.
• We have multiple insulins, disposable syringes and insulin pumps.
• Women with type 1 can get pregnant and have babies that are as healthy as anyone else’s without doing themselves damage.
Join the Orange County Chapter in finding a cure for diabetes.
• August 12, 19 and 26-Join the JDRF Corporate Dodgeball Challenge!
• The Dream Guild is a membership organization. The mission of The Dream Guild is to build a friendly, cohesive group of women who will help increase JDRF’s presence in the community through exciting and fun events to help raise funds to cure diabetes. Our membership luncheon is September 16 at the Silver Trumpet. For membership information, contact Jennifer Condas and Toni Berlinger at (949) 885-5021.
• November 6, 2011 Walk to Cure Diabetes at UCI. The Orange County Walk is one of the largest family-friendly Walk events in Orange County with an interactive kids’ area, free food, live entertainment and more. Register today at www.jdrf.org.
• March 24, 2012 Dream Gala at the Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel is a wonderful party for a most worthy cause.
• April 2012 Day of Hope and Health is a free program for families and individuals with type 1 diabetes.
• May 21, 2012 ”Fore the Kids” Golf Classic at Newport Beach Country Club. One of Orange County’s premier golf events held at one of the most beautiful courses in the county.
• JDRF Kids Walk. Host a Walk at your child’s school and raise money to cure diabetes and raise awareness about type 1.
• Research Updates on JDRF-funded research are held year round.
• Become a JDRF volunteer.
• Programs for all: newly-diagnosed families, diabetes in the schools, mentorship, youth ambassadors, government relations, adult type 1s, loved ones of those with type 1 diabetes.
• For more information, please call the JDRF office at (949) 553-0363, visit www.jdrfoc.org and follow us on www.facebook.com/jdrfoc