With his burrata cheese muffin at Hendrix in Laguna Niguel, chef Rainer Schwarz squeezes big flavors into a small package.
1. A crusty muffin exterior hides the unexpected inside—eggy, buttery house‑made spaetzle, the German noodle that’s too scarce on today’s menus.
2. The nutmeg-spiced muffin gets salty umami from bits of smoky Nueske bacon tucked within.
3. Cool, silky burrata supplies a blast of fresh dairy lushness and a robust temperature contrast
4. A tuft of basil sprouts over blistered tomatoes veils a smidgen of preserved lemon bursting with complex acidity.
5. The herby, floral notes of a sprightly pesto bring a vibrant cohesiveness to the dish.